Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bath and Stonehenge




Current state: depressed over the US lost to Ghana...sigh
So I thought I would catch you all up on a couple blog posts!!

A couple weeks, the journalism school took us on a trip to Stonhenge and Bath.

Stonehenge- we were driving for at least an hour and a half, when we finally saw the mysterious rocks. However I was really confused. The Druid rocks were basically in the middle of the interstate. Almost like a historical truck stop to be exact. Althou
gh Stonehenge was mysterious and an important historical landmark- we couldn't really get very close to it. I also didn't realize that there was also important rocks that were around the rock structure.

We had a lot of fun walking around though. Beyond the roads and traffic, there was fields the color of the most vibrant yellows and greens I have ever seen. There was also a million sheep running around every where. For some of us- that became the greatest interest.

After Stonehenge we went to Bath. I had been always very
excited to go to Bath- I can't help that my mother raised me on Jane Austen. We only had one hour before our tour of the Roman Baths, so Kamilla and I decided we needed to get to the Jane Austen Tourism Centre.

Before that though we stopped in this tiny little ice cream shop. I decided to take a pretty big risk. Try clotted cream ice cream. Turned out to be one of the best decisions ever. I wish they had it in the states because it is soooooooooo delicious. It's kind of like vanilla ice cream, but with a richer taste and a little sweeter. I absolutely loved it.

After our ice cream treat, we walked down the cobble stone streets and found the jane austen centre. I was very lucky to get my Colin Firth fix :) We learned about Austen's life and saw historical dress of the time. I even learned the art of flirting with a fan.

Lastly we went to the Roman Baths. I still can't believe how much history was preserved. It was absolutely unbelievable. I loved that the hot baths still act as a natural hot tub. The exhibit was set up in a hard way to really get a feeling for all the history and wasn't well organized. However, I really want to read a book about how it survived.

There was also a man dressed up as a high priestess walking around, but it was more weird than offering any historical value.... especially when he would just stare at the water for like 15 minutes and then walk to a new spot and stare again...harsh job.

I really enjoyed my time in Bath and hope that I have time for a longer visit next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment